There is a Buddhist proverb which resonates deeply with me: “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” Teachers can be in any form – humans, songs, blogs, film, books, poems, photography, etc. My teachers are often in the form of book. I love that special moment when I read the first couple of pages and know my life will forever be changed.
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”
Books that have impacted my life and led me on my spiritual journey (in no particular order)…
1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
2. The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho
3. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
4. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
5. The Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz
6. Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
7. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
8. The Art of Happiness by Dalia Lama & Howard C. Cutler
9. The Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin
10. Feeding Your Demons by Tsultrium Allione
– The Complete Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
– Quantum Wellness by Kathy Freston
Books in the “to read” stack:
– The Bhagavad Gita
– Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
– The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
– 5 Steps to a Quantum Life by Natalie Reid
What books have led you on your journey? Or have changed your life? Please do share.
“The Boho Life” is the life I imagine living. A life in which I am liberated from the farces of society. A life in which I am mentally and psychically free. A life in which I let my artistic soul shine. A life in which I travel often. A life in which I live by the ideals of truth, freedom and love. It is the life I inspire to live everyday.
Is there a key which unlocks the door to happiness? I have no idea.
“The pursuit of happiness is the source of all unhappiness”
I read this quote on a Lulu Lemon bag and the words have resonated with me ever since. The last few years I have been on this quest to find happiness. Maybe the problem with my “quest” for happiness is the quest itself. I spend so much time searching, looking for this feeling, but I don’t think happiness is something you achieve. It’s not like climbing to a top of a mountain and once you reach the top, TA DAH HAPPINESS! Nope, it doesn’t work that way. Perhaps Elizabeth Gilbert said it best in Eat, Pray, Love…
“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”
Happiness is something you have to work towards, something to pursue but I no longer think it needs to be a difficult “quest”. I think being happy can be quite simple. Do activities which bring you joy. Often the simplest things can have the biggest impact. Go on a walk on the beach, watch the sunset, take a yoga class from your favorite instructor, volunteer with kids, stop and smell the roses and enjoy the journey of life.
If happiness is a choice, I choose happiness.
Shout out to the source: Pinterest
Hello hello! Happy New Year my darlings. I was quite happy to say bye to 2011 which proved to be a challenging year, but now it is new year and time for new beginnings!
It is time for reflection. Reflecting on the year that just passed and what we want this new year to bring. I am a strong believer of setting goals and resolutions. This year I put a lot of thought & love into them. I came up with a list of 12 items I would like to see manifest along with solutions on how to make it possible. Many of them overlap into one another, but this is just a sign that I am living a life that is aligned with who I am and want to be – mind, body & spirit. Hopefully my list can help motivate and inspire you to do the same…
1. I would like to find true love to prepare for love I need to heal my heart and let love in (ways to heal the heart… heart opening yoga poses, meditation and energy work).
2. I would like to forgive & let go I want to forgive the people who have done me wrong & let go of the pain they have caused me (practice metta meditation)
3. I would like to find a hobby something I am passionate about and can be devoted to (I would love to volunteer teaching art classes to children)
4. I want to practice gratitude daily (as a way to unwind in the evening and reflect upon my day I will write in my gratitude journal)
5. I would like to begin a daily meditation practice to bring my mind, body & spirit in harmony (I plan on meditating in the mornings)
7. I would like to re-commit to my morning routine (which includes yoga, meditating, my morning pages and juicing)
8. I would like to stop focusing on this quest for “happiness” and find the joy in just living (time to put down the self help books and read romance novels with happy endings!!!)
9. I would like to feel beautiful on the inside & out I’m a woman and it’s time to own it (mani/pedi’s, new bra’s, clear skin, stop nail biting, floss daily… there are many more…)
10. I would like to read more & watch less TV (I took the TV out of my room!!!)
11. I would like to cultivate a healthy lifestyle be mindful of what I am placing in my body (replace coffee with tea, juice daily, quit smoking – party stogs included, eat more fresh veggies & fruit…)
12. I want to feel & be inspired on a daily basis (I am hoping numbers 1-11 will help with this!)
Shout out the source: Pinterest
Again, happy happy New Year my lovelies. Hopefully this year all your dreams will come true. xoxox.